Well most of us certainly remember our grandmas advising us or our moms with easy, dependable, homemade solutions (naani ke nuskhe) for everyday health hiccups. In the same fashion, we bring you some easily found herbs to quickly liven up your moods when you feel all distressed, down with fatigue and need some soothing mental rejuvenation.
Fragrance is an emotion driver. Aromatic fragrances are a very delightful experience for the human olfactory senses. Research has shown physiological and mental effects of aromas and fragrances on emotions. Moods have been mapped to alter in presence of different scents.
So be it anxiety, anger, depression, stress or something as simple as mental ennui on a Monday morning, we have speedy remedy for you – aromatherapy. Read on to discover more of DIY, instant mood boosters.
- LEMON: Apart from tantalising your taste buds, lemon can do wonders for your mind. Its scent is a good aggregator to promote concentration. It also has relaxing properties that soothe your nerves when you feel anger, anxiousness etc. Its antiviral and antibacterial properties combat sore throats and colds by boosting the body’s immune system and improving circulation.
- LAVENDER: A beautiful flower and a colour, the oil of Lavender also has calming properties that help control emotional stress. A fragrance favourite with scented candles, the soothing effect of can relieve nervous tension and depression. Also treats headaches and migraines.
- JASMINE: Like lavender, jasmine is also used to calm nerves. But its oil is also commonly used as an anti-depressant because of its uplifting capabilities that produce a feeling of confidence, optimism and revitalized energy.
- ROSEMARY: A perfect Monday morning pick-me-up to battle the Monday blues. Excellent for livening up those dull mornings, when you need a little push off the bed. While also improving memory retention, the stimulating aroma of rosemary fights physical exhaustion, headaches and mental fatigue. And is also a remedy against muscular aches.
- CINNAMON: Like lemon and rosemary, the stimulating properties in cinnamon help assuage mental fatigue and improve concentration and focus.
- PEPPERMINT: A complete energy booster, the scent of peppermint rejuvenates the mind, aligns concentration and stirs clear thinking. A must try when brainstorming.